Friday, May 2, 2014

The struggle to cope with ADHD

 


A brain of someone with ADHD. (Credit: adhd-brain.com)

It was a few days before Memorial Day 2013; Nicole remembers the exact weekend. Her sister didn’t come home from school that Thursday night. She didn’t answer any texts, phone calls or Facebook messages. Her friends didn’t know where she was, or they were covering for her. Either way, Nicole*’s 17-year-old baby sister was missing. In the Chicago suburban town with a population of 20,000, kids didn’t run away, or at least those stories weren’t shared.
 
            The following afternoon Nicole got a phone call from an unknown number. It was from Ann*, her sister. She was safe, but she wasn’t coming home. Instead she was packing. The then-high school junior spent the next few days at a friend’s house.
 
            “We knew where she was then, but I was still was so mad at her,” Nicole, 20, said. “I thought she was being selfish, leaving our family. She didn’t realize how much it affected me personally. It broke my heart thinking she wasn’t happy here and that she didn’t trust me enough to tell me how she was feeling.”
 
The sisters were as different in personality as their looks. With the exception of their blue eyes, they looked nothing alike. Nicole’s blond locks contrasted Ann’s deep brunette hair. Nicole looked like their dad; Ann looked like their mom.
 
The summer of 2013 marked a turning in point in Ann’s life, in her family’s life too.
 
Ann has hyperactive-impulsive attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD. She was diagnosed in 2011 at the age of 15.
 
            Although Ann came home a few days after the Memorial Day holiday, things were different. The family of five went to therapy for one session, but never returned, Nicole moved out of the room the sisters had shared for the past 13 years.
 
 “I do things all the time without thinking about it and I think that to an extent it is the ADHD,” Ann said. “The other part is just me being stupid. I don’t take the time to consider what I’m doing. I just kind of go with it and be really impulsive.”
Her actions last summer are the perfect example, she said. “I was just like, ‘I don’t like you and I’ll decide if I ever want to even come back.’ That’s my best example…. There’s a line when it’s part disorder and [and part] just being stupid. I think ADHD is a factor, but I’m not blaming it on that or making an excuse but I definitely think it was a factor.”
ADHD, according to the National Institute of Mental Health, is one of the most common childhood disorders. Symptoms include trouble staying focused and paying attention, as well as controlling one’s own behavior and hyperactivity. There are three subtypes, which are classified as predominantly hyperactive-impulsive, predominantly inattentive, and combined hyperactive-impulsive and inattentive.
Ann was diagnosed with hyperactive-impulsive ADHD at the age of 15. The average age of the onset of ADHD is 7 years old. The disorder affects 9 percent of children ages 13 to 18 in the United States, according to the NIMH. . It can continue into adulthood, although some grow out of it.
             Ann didn’t realize that she may have ADHD until her therapist, who she was already seeing because of a personal issue with a friend her freshman year of high school, brought up the possibility.
“Once we kind of resolved that [personal] issue…we started talking more about organization skills and that kind of stuff because that’s when I wasn’t doing that well in school anymore,” Ann said. “They said that maybe there was a bigger issue and not just because I don’t feel like [doing my school work] so that’s when they decided to test me for ADHD.”
            At that point, Ann met with a psychiatrist near her hometown. The actual test took about an hour, she said. She sat in front of a computer and directions on the screen indicated that she was supposed to press a certain button when a certain shape appeared on the screen.
            “It was more like a game than a questionnaire,” Ann said.
            When the results came back, they showed that Ann had the most impulsive answers. They tested her for two different types of ADHD to determine which she was affected by the most.  
“The impulsiveness came from instead of me seeing the shape on screen, I’d be like ‘Oh shit, there’s a shape on the screen’,” Ann said. “I wasn’t really thinking about ‘I’m supposed to do this for this one or I’m not supposed to do anything for this kind of thing.’”
Her inability to recognize what messages her brain receives and what exactly she is supposed to do with those messages, indicated impulsivity.
Ann explained that her ADHD affects her life each day, even simple tasks such as cleaning her room.
 
“When mom tells me to go clean my room I can receive the message, but I don’t get all of the messages, I get them but they don’t actually go to my brain,” Ann said. “That’s what the actual disorder is, because my brain doesn’t process all the messages. Other people get the entire message and realize that they have to go do it now.”
 
Instead of completing the task assigned to her, she said she gets distracted and doesn’t do what she is supposed to and then eventually forgets what she was supposed to do.
 
Before the diagnosis, she didn’t think that her behavior or choices were connected to any type of mental illness.
 
“I never noticed anything [within myself] and was never like ‘Maybe there’s something wrong,’” Ann said.  “I think mom and dad might have, but I don’t think that ever really crossed my mind besides having mild depression.… But when they started telling me about ADHD I was like that makes a lot of sense.”
“When they were telling her about ADHD’s symptoms at first, I think she finally realized she’s not so different than other people,” Ann’s mom, Joy, said. “She’s not weird or strange, there are others that feel and think the same way she does and there are ways to work with it.”
Upon her diagnosis, Ann was prescribed Concerta to counteract the ADHD symptoms. She takes 36 mg daily; 56 mg is the average dose, she said, so she is prescribed below the average.
 
Concerta is a methylphenidate and is the only ADHD medication that lasts for an entire day. Concerta is the only ADHD treatment with the OROS® delivery system, which means that one dose in the morning, will lead to the release of medication into the body at an increasing amount throughout the day.
 
Lately, the now 18-year-old has been taking her medication less frequently and can function without it, she says. However, for the first few years after her diagnosis, there was a visible difference in her behavior between the days she took her medicine and the days she did not.
 
“Me, I’m not as hyperactive as some people,” Ann said. “Most of the time if I didn’t take [the medication] I’d just be laying around all day and not have any motivation to do anything. I’d constantly be falling asleep because I didn’t have anything to do today. I’d be laying around on a Saturday when I’m off [work] and mom would be like ‘You didn’t take your medicine today, did you?’”
Ann doesn’t see her therapist anymore, but she does go in to see her psychiatrist once a month to renew her prescription. She says that she has gone so many times now, that she knows every question he will ask her each visit.
 
However, in the past few weeks she hasn’t been taking her medication. She used to take it almost every day, but she doesn’t notice a difference any more whether she takes the medication or not.
“My symptoms don’t change every day because it’s a constant thing, but [it’a matter of] me deciding how much I want to work with it that day,” Ann said. “[Whether or not] I even take my medicine every day that for me depends on what I’m doing that day, like if I had to wake up early for school or work I’d take my medicine that day.”
I think I am already starting to grow out of my ADHD,” Ann said. “I know the difference between what I physically can’t do and when I’m just being lazy.”
While she may see a difference in herself, what about other people that she interacts with daily?
Joy said that she does see a difference in her at certain points in time. At the start of a semester or when she puts her mind to it, she’ll apply herself to her schoolwork for about two or three weeks, but then that motivation dies and she won’t make such an effort anymore, Joy said.
“I think she thinks that she can’t do it,” Joy said. “But she’s an extremely smart girl, she does great on tests, but she needs to apply herself and realize she is capable of success. I know it; she just has to believe it.”
The experience and knowledge Ann has gained about ADHD over the years has helped her to understand it in others as well.
“It made a huge difference when I started learning about my ADHD,” Ann said. “I think it helped when I was tutoring [a 9-year-old with ADHD] and I could recognize her symptoms so I know how to help her learn [the material] more, instead of being annoyed with her and be like ‘just pay attention.’  I could understand why she wasn’t paying attention all the time and teach her some techniques that I have learned.
Ann will graduate from high school in June, with plans to attend junior college in the fall.            
Almost a year after the difficult Memorial Day, Nicole and Ann text almost every day and they plan to go shopping for Ann’s prom together. 
            “The trust is restored [in our relationship],” Nicole said. “It took a long time and if you would have told me we would be this close again in less than 12 months, I would never have believed you, but we’ve made it this far.
“I can honestly say that the thing I am most proud of is my relationship with my sister and how far she has come to get her life on track.”
* Note—names have been changed.
 By Emily Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment